Constitution and By-laws of the Chinese Language Teachers Association of California
(Revised and passed at the CLTAC general meeting on March 8, 2008)
The name of this Association shall be the Chinese Language Teachers Association of California 加州中文教师协会
The purpose of this Association shall be to promote and improve the instruction of the Chinese language in K-16 levels, and to encourage and promote cooperation and fellowship among teachers engaged in this profession.
1. Regular membership
Any teacher of the Chinese Language may become a member of the Association with voting power upon payment of annual dues as defined in the By-laws.
2. Life membership
Any teacher of the Chinese Language may become a life member of the Association with voting power upon payment of life-membership dues as defined in the By-laws.
3. Associate membership
Any interested person may become an Associate member upon payment of annual dues as defined in the By-laws. An associate member does not have the voting power.
4. Only a regular member, or a life member, can be elected to be officers of the Association.
5. The officers of the Association shall be a President and two Vice-Presidents.
6. The officers of the Association shall be elected for a term of office for two years starting immediately after the Fall general meeting. The nomination and election of officers shall follow procedures as defined in the By-laws.
7. Through consultation with the elected officers, the President of the Association should appoint the Executive Secretary, the Deputy Executive Secretary, the Treasurer, the Vice Treasurer, the Historian, the Newsletter Editor, the Webmaster, and the speech contest committeeas well as any necessary committees in addition to the elected officers.
8. The administration of the Association shall be in the hands of the Board of Directors, which shall consist of the President, the Vice-Presidents, the immediately outgoing officers, the Executive Secretary, and the Treasurer.
9. The Association shall hold annually a conference and a workshop at such time and place as the Board of Directors may designate. The Conference shall be for members of the Association to present new findings and ideas from their research or teaching of Chinese.
10 The President of the Association, or member(s) on the Board of Directors appointed by the President, shall be responsible for the preparation of all the meetings.
11 Members in attendance at any duly called meeting shall constitute a quorum.
VII.Change in Constitution
12. The Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote at any duly called general meeting.
13. Amendments may be proposed by the Board of Directors or by written notice sent to the Board of Directors by at least twenty members of the Association who will have to co-sign and submit a proposal to the Board of Directors one month prior to a duly called general meeting at which time action shall be taken. The Secretary shall send such proposed amendments to each member at least one week prior to the time at which final action is to be taken, together with the Board of Directors’ recommendation.
14. By-laws may be adopted or changed at any duly called general meeting of the Association by a majority vote of the members present provided such proposed adoptions and changes have been sent to each member at least one week prior to the meeting.
I. Nominations for Officer
At the end of current terms of officers, the President of the Association shall appoint a committee of three, excluding the outgoing officers, to present a new slate of candidates for election through consultation with members of the Association. In preparing nominations, the nomination committee should work closely with the Executive Secretary, and due consideration should be given to regional and institutional representation. Election will be conducted by mail. Ballots shall be sent to members in good standing by the Secretary at least one month prior to the fall general meeting of the election year. Space shall be provided under each office for write-in nominations. The ballots shall be returned to the Executive Secretary of the Association not later than one week before the fall general meeting of the year.
II. Meeting of the Board of Directors
A regular meeting of the Board of Directors shall be held prior to the first general meeting of the Association. Special meetings may be called by the President on her/his own initiative or upon request of three members of the Board of Directors.
The annual membership dues for regular, life and associate memberships shall be determined by the Board of Directors. Dues are payable each year on March 31st.
IV. Payment of Officers
All of the officers, board members, and committee members of the Association shall serve without pay. Necessary expenditures incurred by officers may be authorized by the President or by the Board of Directors, and such expenditures should be reported to the general meeting once a year.